Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Brother and Sister

We have a brother and a sister living at our house. For most of the last year and a half, Selah has been our baby and Roman, our big boy. Now, we have two little people, and they are in each other's space. Actually, that is our technical term, Space. As in, "Give me some space, Selah." Selah can't enunciate the word space, but she is quite capable of communicating her her need for elbow room. She asks for it in her patented squeal grunt, which I have no hope of describing in a blog post. It starts in a high pitched squeal of protest, but as she physically tries to block out her brother from her space, it drops down into a sustained grunt of disapproval.

I was so broken hearted the other day when Selah fell and Roman laughed at her. I commented to Dawnielle that it made me sad that he delighted in her distress. Dawnielle agreed that it wasn't behavior to celebrate, but she made the valid point, that I hadn't considered. "He is a big brother, he thinks his little sister's problems are pretty funny."

They also delight in one another. I have been hearing lots of sweetness from my little guy. Roman greets Selah each morning and after each nap with a "Good morning, Selah!" He runs and gets her things she can't reach, and he laughs at her "jokes". She thinks he is hilarious. They both watch each other with great admiration.

I love watching them develop a relationship outside of their parents. I pray that it will be a close and supportive friendship that lasts a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment