I was upstairs with Selah, changing a diaper. I heard the crash, and I waited for the scream. It followed moments later. I ran down the stair with Selah, and I was greeted by a bawling little boy. I wrapped my arms around him to wait for the story, and I realized that he was bleeding all over my shoulder.
Roman had decided that he wanted to crumb topping on the kitchen counter that was left over from the morning's muffin baking. He had dragged his little chair over, climbed up to reach, and the chair had scooted out from under him, sending his chin crashing into the counter top. The cut was small but deep. I put a small butterfly band aid on the cut, and praise the Lord for good neighbors, I called up my neighbor Jill who was willing to watch Selah for a few hours.
Back at the house, I tried to make a decision about going to the hospital, but I decided to wait about 20 minutes for Matt to get home from work.
Roman: Are you going to call the ambulance?
Mama: No. This isn't a big emergency.
Roman: Are you going to take me to the hospital?
Mama: I am not sure yet.
Roman: You'll drop me off?
Mama: I would go in with you.
Roman: You would throw me in?
I definitely think it is against Emergency Room procedures to have parents drop bleeding 3 year olds off at the entrance.
Matt came home and assessed that the one stitch that would be necessary would be more traumatizing than helpful. He went to CVS and got SteriStrips, which are super sticky strips that work like stitches to hold the cut together. They worked beautifully. The cut is healing nicely. I think it will leave a tiny scar, but all the men in our families have little chin scars so he fits right in.
ouch, buddy! I'm so sad you were in pain and sad, but I am soooo happy you have a mommy and daddy who love you and hold you and make great decisions for you. Some day you and Kaeden will have to swap scar stories. All inquisitive, independent mind doings. Love you!!
ReplyDelete