Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Sad Song

Roman has several special friends (mostly girls), but he has a very special connection with his friend Nadia. She is a pretty special girl. She has introduced Roman to some of our now favorite games such as Shepherds (wearing the couch arm covers on their heads, while tending sheep) and Couch Bugs (hiding behind the couch cushions to grab whomever may approach unaware). She has also taught Roman a lot about being gentle with someone else's feelings, talking through a miscommunication, and sharing how something makes him feel.

Yesterday, after Nadia left, Roman stood staring out the window by our front door. After some time for reflection he walked over to where I was doing laundry and told me he was singing a sad song. I asked if I could hear it. He said that he needed to stand by the window to sing it. We walked over to the window where he sang, "Nadia is gone, I can't see her anymore," in a quiet mournful way.

It was heartbreaking. When I was telling Matt later in the day, he reflected on how poetry and song are such a natural outgrowth of our souls. I am so glad that our son is learning to express himself with words and music. I am also so glad that he has a friend like Nadia in his life.
Nadia and Roman playing together at Roman's Birthday Party

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Sweetness gushing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful moment for you. Your blog is great, love the pics. You are very talented! God bless you and your beautiful family :) Katie Cook

    ReplyDelete