Thursday, June 23, 2011

A trial camping trip...

Matt and I are taking the kids to Ohio next week to camp with Aunt Cheryl and Aunt Kim's families. We haven't been camping since we sold the camper in Michigan. I have never been tent camping with my babies. Because our first excursion is for a whole week I thought is would be good to have an overnight practice session.

My friend Amy agreed to take us camping at one of their favorite local campsites with her daughter Nadia, Roman's best friend. Camping for one night is a lot of work for not a lot of play time, but the kids had a blast. I took a blanket and the Boppy for Selah who chilled for most of the evening and morning. As long as food and entertainment are provided she can sit for hours. I kept her well supplied with sweet potato puffs, and Nadia and Roman provided the entertainment by running in big loops around the campsite.

Amy and Nadia bought bug nets for the kids to play with on our big adventure. Roman and Nadia took turns catching each other, catching the car, and trying to catch a blue jay or squirrel. The last two proved the most difficult, but with some practice I think they could be successful eventually. They also spent time in the lake, and rocks are quite easy to catch.

I was able to take some notes about what to bring next week. We apparently are much more attached to our stuffed Pooh Bear than I thought. Roman woke up at 2ish crying because he couldn't find his Pooh Bear. I will be taking it to Ohio! Also, Amy let us borrow their battery operated white noise machine. Life saver. We will be purchasing one before our trip.

Overall a huge success. We just adore Amy and Nadia, and camping was wonderful. I realized how much I miss trees. We were 30 minutes away, but except for the air traffic, we felt hundreds of miles from the city! It was beautiful. Yeah camping! I want more please.

1 comment:

  1. yea!!!!!!!!!! We will also be bringing a white noise maker - I mean a fan. ahh. Some things just make life that much nicer. See you all Monday!

    ReplyDelete