I don't know what to do when Roman wakes up on the wrong side of the bed after a nap. I start to wonder why I even have him nap. He starts to get a little whiny around 12:30 or 1:00, and I put him down for a nap. He usually reads his books and lays in bed and talks to himself for quite awhile. Sometimes he falls asleep on his own, often I have to go remind him to sleep, which makes him cry. After about an hour and a half he wakes up and knocks on his door until I come get him. Occasionally we get a two and a half hour nap.
When Roman wakes up sometimes his is a cutey batooty. He asks quietly if he can watch Backyardigans or Wonder Pets. He wants me to hold his hand as we walk down the stairs. He holds my hand while I put on a video. He says please. He says thank you.
Other times he is like a grizzly bear woken up mid hibernation. Actually I think that is the root of it... he isn't really done with his nap, but he is awake and can't fall back to sleep. He whines and cries. He holds on to me for dear life, but screams every time I do something wrong (read: not what he wants). I have the hardest time talking with him, and if I put him into timeout it is as if his life is falling apart.
It is like he isn't even my little boy. I hate it for me, and I hate it for him because he seems so miserable.
I love when he comes out of his funk. It usually takes a couple of videos and some food, but it happens. Slowly but surely I get my little boy back.
Miss Crankypants lives in Cincinnati. It's totally sleep cycle, I think. For Elise, she needs her space, but food is also key after a mis-waking - it's like there's a disequilibrium that is very tough to shake. Although little mr.'s father wasn't always so stellar after naps either. Our love to little mr. crankypants and his sister. Grace to you Momma.
ReplyDelete